Tuesday, May 24, 2011

As much update as I can muster...

We are now 35 weeks, 1 day.

The major milestone this week is that if I go into labor again, I will be able to deliver at our 'home' hospital instead of having to make the hour and a half trek to a hospital that has a NICU. We had our third birth class yesterday - we have three more to go (if we make it that far)! We are starting to get into the nitty gritty of labor and delivery and focusing on getting ready mentally and physically for the baby.

Our hospital bag is packed, her room is finished (for the most part), so now we are just waiting.

Physically, I am having difficulty coping with the tail end of pregnancy. It's hard on my body, especially my hips and back, but mostly I'm just tired. It's a battle every morning to scrape together the energy to get going and I am getting less and less sleep the closer we get. The newest struggle is that I am having pelvic separation - normally the pelvis is one continuous piece, and mine has begun to come apart in the front in preparation for labor. Dr. W told me that it is a normal part of pregnancy for a small fraction of women and that although delivery is going to be a little easier on me (more room for baby to travel through), carrying the rest of the way and labor is going to be increasingly difficult. I am definitely feeling the strain. Since my preterm labor I've been experiencing what feel like strong menstrual cramps on and off and there are the ever present contractions. I am looking forward to the day when I don't have to control them with medicine and I can just let them achieve their purpose.

I love my daughter more than I can express and I want her to stay in as long as is healthy for her, but I am getting so very tired. At this point I have no energy, I am in constant discomfort, and I'm just ready. Ready for her to be here, ready to get my body back, ready to move on to another chapter in our lives...

I hope she comes close to 37. I know it's probably going to make me sound like a weenie, but after everything we've been through in this pregnancy, I am starting to wear down and I don't know how I'm going to make it another 5 weeks if she decides to come at 40. I feel like a marathon runner reaching the end of the race- the finish line is in sight but fatigue is setting in.

Just a little bit longer, now.

No comments:

Post a Comment